Indian Ocean Tuna Commission held its first session
in Rome, Italy, from 3 to 6 December 1996. The
Commission adopted Rules I to III, VI and X of its Rules
of Procedure and deferred decision on the other Rules
(see Second Session of the Indian
Ocean Tuna Commission for final draft of Rules).
Commission decided to establish a Scientific Committee
pursuant to Article XII.I of the Agreement and assigned
functions, composition, operation as well as financial
responsibilities. The Commission decided that
it was premature to create sub-commissions.
was selected to host the Secretariat of the Commission
after voting by secret ballot.
Commission decided to defer decisions on the following
matters to the First Special
Session scheduled to be held from 24 to 26 March
- final adoption of the Rules
- adoption of the Financial
- adoption of the Budget of the Commission;
- adoption of the scheme and scale of contribution;
- appointment of the Secretary of the Commission;
- relationship with other bodies;
- election of Officers for the biennium;
- Kyoto Declaration and Plan of Action from the International
Conference on Sustainable Contribution of Fisheries
to Food Security.